Dutch Export Submarines
Chien Lung/Hai Lung type for Taiwan
More info about other Dutch submarines for Taiwan at: R.D.M. subs for Taiwan
The Taiwanese order for these two submarines, which are variations on the Dutch Zwaardvis (2) design, was signed in September 1981. The construction of the boats was delayed because of financial difficulties of the Dutch Wilton Fijenoord shipyard but was resumed in 1983. Application for a further two boats with an option of another pair has been turned down by the Netherlands Government in 1992 after PRC (China) protested by downgrading its ties with Holland.
Class Chien Lung / Hai Lung Boat Hai Lung
Pennant # 793 794 (not 795) Yard # 817 818 Type Conventional attack submarine Class name Chien Lung (Sword Dragon).
Western sources often refer to the class as Hai Lung class.
Building contract September 1981 Laid down 15 Dec 1982 Dec 1982 Launched 6 Oct 1986 20 Dec 1986 Arrival in Taiwan 18 Dec 1987 ( Kaohsiung) ? Sea trials March 1987 Jan 1988 Commissioned to
9 Oct 1987 9 Apr 1988 Design Dutch Zwaardvis MK2 design Shipyard Wilton Fijenoord, Schiedam Le x Be x Dr 66.9 m x 8.4 m x 6.7 m Displacement
+-1900 t / 2376 t / 2660 t Propulsion Diesel-electric Engines Three Bronswerk/Stork-Werkspoor RUB 215x12 diesels,
4050 hp(m), 3 MW. 3 alternators, 2.7 MW
Main motor One Holec electric motor, 5100 shp, 3.74 MW Batteries Two 196-cell batteries Shaft 1 Speed surf/subm 12 kts / 20 kts Range snorting 10000 nm at 9 kts. Maximum complement is 79 Diving depth 300 m
Hai Lung reached test depth of ? m on 12-14 Apr 1987 trials.
Complement 67, incl. 8 officers Torpedo tubes 6 x 21" bow Torpedo type AEG SUT, dual purpose, wire-guided, active/passive
homing to 12 km (6.6 nm) at 35 kts, warhead 250 kg.
Manufactured under license in Indonesia.
Missiles Provisions made for carrying Feng 2 SSM's Armament 20? or 28? torpedoes Fire control Sinbads M combat System.
Spectrum data/combat system.
Radar Surface search: Signaal ZW-07. Sonar Hull mounted: Signaal SIASS-Z, passive/active intercept
search and attack, low/medium frequency.
Towed array: Fitted for but not equipped with passive
ESM Radar warning: ?Signaal Rapids. Radar warning?: Argo AR 700SF Elbit Timnex 4CH(V)2, intercept Notes
- Ben Dijkstra was part of the trial crew of these submarines and reports the trials where from Sept 1986 till June 1987. He still remembers that the sespecially the first sub needed a lot of extra lead, especially forwrad. First dives where conducted in the North Sea's Devil's Hole (75 meters water depth) and the rest in Norwegian Fkords.
- Both submarines shipped to Taiwan on board a heavy dock vessel.
- Originally the Taiwanese order consisted of six submarines, but only two were delivered and the plans for the other four are cancelled.
- Oct 2001: there are rumours about a modified Chien Lung / Hai Lung class for Taiwan. Full story.
- Oct 2001: Under George Bush’s arms package proposal of 23 April 2001, the Mk 48 heavyweight torpedo and the UGM-84 submarine-launched Harpoon missiles were offered, and probably will be utilized during the class' mid-life update.
Chien/Hai Lung related pages Zwaardvis (2) class Chien/Hai Lung type for Taiwan Navy allows a rare glimpse of sub Chien/Hai Lung in The Netherlands Chien/Hai Lung in Taiwan Off-site http://www.bendijkstra.nl/
Do you have any comments, corrections, additions or do you have material like stories, photos or other data available for this or any other page on this website? Then please do not hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Home Classes Boats Tenders News Export R&D Men Books Pictures Links Models M-media Specials Forum Search Help US ! Copyright © 1997-2006 - Design and content DutchSubmarines.com